Strickland Road Historic District
1730–1960

The Strickland Road Historic District encompasses the area known historically as the Lower Landing, a former maritime center and later home to the Cos Cob art colony. The historic road follows Strickland Brook from the Post Road to Cos Cob Harbor where a tidal dam, built by David Bush in 1763 at the mouth of the brook, created Mill Pond.

The district is distinguished by the town’s only National Historic Landmark, Bush-Holley House, a centerpiece of the Greenwich Historical Society’s campus. The district also features well-preserved Colonial homes set close to Strickland Road, stylish Victorian houses with sweeping front lawns, a cluster of early 20th-century Craftsman style bungalows, and a group of post-World War II houses on Mill Pond Court.

The Strickland Road Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The district is architecturally significant as a small, cohesive, residential community distinguished by its architectural variety and excellent state of preservation. It reflects the historical development of the Village of Cos Cob in the Town of Greenwich from 1730 to 1960.

Read the National Register Historic District Nomination >

Greenwich Historical Society 39 Strickland Road, Cos Cob, CT 06807 203-869-6899

©2018 Greenwich Historical Society. All rights reserved.